Professor Zhang Junsheng was admitted to Zhejiang University in 1954, and since then he has been staying at the university as a student, a professor and a top administrator all the years except for the 15 years of working in Hangzhou municipal CPC committee and Xinhua News Agency Hong Kong Branch. As a chief leader of the university, Professor Zhang has done tremendous initiative work for the reform of national higher education in China, with important contributions to the development of Zhejiang University, especially to the successful establishment of the new Zhejiang University, which was based on the amalgamation of four universities in 1998. As the result of his university-related life for so many years, Professor Zhang cherishes deep feelings for education, Zhejiang University and its students. In order to provide aid for students from disadvantaged families to complete their undergraduate and graduate education, Zhejiang University Junsheng Foundation (shortened as Junsheng Foundation hereinafter) has been set up with the initiation of some alumni of the university and social personages from Hong Kong and the mainland, the consent of Professor Zhang himself and the approval of Zhejiang University.
Article 1 Source and Nature of the Foundation
Source: The foundation is set up with the initiation of some alumni and personages from Hong Kong and the mainland, with money raised through donations by people from various social circles in and outside China and managed in an open fashion.
Nature: As a principal-usable fund under Zhejiang University Foundation for Educational Development, Junsheng Foundation will have a special account, which is to be managed independently for its specialized purposes.
Article 2 Organization and Management
A board of directors, composed of an honorary president, a president and a number of managing directors and directors, is to be set up for Junsheng Foundation. The responsibilities of the board include raising the money, managing the fund and deciding how to use the fund and who is eligible for the fund. Under the board there will be a secretariat to take charge of specific matters.
Article 3 Eligible Students
Junsheng Foundation is mainly used to provide aid for full-time undergraduate and graduate students from low-income families who cannot afford tuition and fees, living expenses and other costs incurred from their education.
Article 4 Conditions for Aid
1. Generally, students eligible for the aid must be from families with the income below the local minimum living line and with no other financial sources. This status needs to be verified by the colleges that the students are affiliated to and the functional departments of the university in charge of students’ affairs.
2. The students eligible for the aid must love their motherland, observe the laws of the country, the rules and disciplines of the university, be honest, upright and diligent, and keep good relationship with others.
3 Generally, the students’ academic achievements need to be above the average.
Article 5 Amount of Money, Number of Beneficiaries and Selection Procedures
1. According to the applicants’ needs and the current living standard of Hangzhou where the university is located, 2 grades of yearly aid are to be set up temporarily, with the 1st being RMB 5000 yuan and the 2nd being RMB 3000 yuan.
2. For the purpose of the rational use of the money on the part of the beneficiaries, the aid is to be provided every half year, with 2500 yuan for the 1st grade and 1500 yuan for the 2nd each time.
3. The total amount of the money used for the aid in a particular year will be decided upon by the Board of the Directors according to the fund raising situation, with the reservation of certain amount for the basic capital.
4. The selection of beneficiaries must follow the principle of “openness, impartialness and fairness” and the “excellent first” sequence with bottom-up democratic procedures, including individual application, collection of opinions from the applicants’ teachers fellow students, and discussions and evaluations by relevant departments at different levels.
Article 6 Aid-providing Specifics
1. Matters regarding the manegement of Junsheng Foundation are to be coordinated by Zhejiang University Foundation for Educational Development, and aid-related specifics are to be dealt with by the Office of Undergraduate Students’ Affairs and the Office of Graduate Students’ Affairs respectively.
2. The afore-mentioned two offices are responsible for submitting to the Board of Junsheng Foundation for examination the application materials, including the study reports, of the candidates who have been selected through the procedures stipulated in Article 5 above.
3. The aid of this Foundation will be provided on the yearly basis. Beneficial students are allowed to apply for and receive the aid every year continuously until graduation, provided that they meet the conditions for application. Beneficial students need to submit to the Board their study report syearly with the official comments from the colleges they are affiliated to.
4. In the case that a beneficial student suspends from school, or does not work hard, or receives disciplinary punishment, or devours money, or the economic situation of his/her family obviously turns better, the afore-mentioned two Offices of Students’ Affairs should discuss the situation with the college concerned and then report to the Board of the Foundation for necessary adjustment.
5. Students who suffer great economic difficulties as a result of unexpected family problems can directly apply to the Board for aid.
Article 7 The Board of Directors of Junsheng Foundation bears the responsibility of interpreting this constitution and dealing with matters not hereby included.